Drivers and Passengers

 1. Thinking like "victims" creates a mindset that our actions are always someone else's fault. When something goes wrong, we tend to blame other people. Rather than taking ownership of our actions, we play the role of the victim. I think a factor that has lured us into this thinking is that we do not want to own up to our mistakes. We believe that we are capable of being right 100% of the time and our pride gets in the way of taking responsibility for our choices. I also think that people want to take the easy way out. When something goes wrong, people believe that filing a lawsuit is easier than taking ownership. By thinking like victims, we do not take responsibility for our mistakes and we do not have the opportunity to learn from them. 

2. Those who take responsibility and those who don't are equivalent to drivers and passengers. Drivers are willing to take responsibility, take the lead, and guide their group to a destination. Passengers do not take responsibility and they are the ones that blame other people. They are often just along for the ride and do not want any responsibility that comes with being the driver or leader of the group. A person who assumes responsibility is in control of their feelings, thoughts, and attitudes. This is evident in their lives and how they lead others. A person who assumes responsibility is someone who models the way. They understand their influence on their group and they guide their group to their destination. 

3.  An environment where I am more of a "passenger" is when I am around people that I do not know very well. I act like a passenger instead of a driver because I do not tend to automatically take the lead. I think this stems from the fact that I am an introvert and I am not always as assertive as I should be. I think that it is okay to occasionally be a passenger. It provides the opportunity to learn from drivers in their role as leaders. If you are treated well as a passenger, it is going to influence how you treat others when you are the driver. I also think that there is potential for burnout if you are constantly the driver. 


Comments

  1. Hi Savannah,

    I liked when you said "By thinking like victims, we do not take responsibility for our mistakes and we do not have the opportunity to learn from them." This is very true our victim mentality tends to blind us from the opportunity to learn from our mistakes. OH YES DEFINITELY!! "A person who assumes responsibility is someone who models the way." I also liked when you said "I think that it is okay to occasionally be a passenger. It provides the opportunity to learn from drivers in their role as leaders." I didn't think of it this way--good perspective. Overall, I think you made really good points! Well done! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I also agree that it's okay to be a passenger sometimes because not only does it give you the opportunity to learn, but also lets you hear how others around you are feeling. Usually I take advantage of this when I'm in those social situations where I don't know anyone and I can sometimes pick up what the main goal of everyone around me because of what they are talking about.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I really liked how you said thinking like a victim creates that certain mindset that your actions are also the fault of someone else. I think that this happens a lot of the time with people and then it becomes a habit to where they can never take responsibility. I also agree that a person who takes responsibility is someone who is in control of their actions.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Victimizing yourself Is a real problem, I see it alot in people and it really is a problematic mindset to blame other people for outcomes, because it doesnt lead to wanting to change things yourself. It makes you feel helpless not only, but it also doesnt encourage you to grow and get stronger. O 100% agree that someone who takes control of their actions is someone whos responsible. After all they have the maturity of mindset to grow as a person

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment