Is Your Emotional Fuel All Around You?

 1.     As a leader, it is incredibly important to be fueled emotionally. When I first came to college, I was emotionally fueled by my friends and family. This past summer, they supported my transition from high school to college. When school started online, my friends took me to coffee shops to work on school with me. I made me realize that I am never alone. 

    In September, I moved onto campus. Not only did I feel support from my friends and family back home, I was emotionally fueled by my friends at Winthrop. My orientation leader, Brooke, fueled me emotionally by encouraging me to work hard. She was always willing to go to Starbucks and do schoolwork with me. She created a shared vision with me by reminding me to work hard but still make time for my friends and to have fun. She encouraged me to become an Emerging Leader and she continues to fuel me emotionally every day. 

2. We need accountability in our lives to ensure that we are not taking on too many responsibilities. Accountability also makes sure we are managing our responsibilities. Since we are leaders, we often neglect making time for ourselves. Support from others encourages us to do well and reminds us that self-care is important. Leaders need accountability and support in order to do their best in their leadership roles. 

3. There are many ways that one person can sharpen another in a relationship. They can be encouraging, but they should be willing to call the other person out if necessary. I believe that holding each other accountable is another way iron sharpens iron. In relation to Model the Way, one person can make sure the other is living by their values and setting the best example for other. 

4. Being unique provides emotional fuel because it brings a new perspective. Our friends and family will fuel us emotionally different than we will fuel them. It makes us look at our situations differently and we can be encouraged by others. 

5. A weak spot in my life is recognizing when to spend time with friends and when to be alone. Although both are important, I need people in my life to support me taking time for myself. I feel I have an empty tank because I am focused on schoolwork that I do not make enough time for my family. 

Comments

  1. That's excellent that your orientation leader, Brooke, was able to provide you with the emotional fuel that was needed. I also think it's important to utilize your friends and family so that you don't feel alone. Remember, you have a strong support system!

    - Calvin J.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm glad you had such a great experience with your orientation leader and they engaged with you so much, that must have been a nice experience. I also need to know when to spend time alone, with others, and doing school. These are hard to balance and can also be different for everyone. I hope we can be friends in the future!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm glad you had such a great experience with your orientation leader and they engaged with you so much, that must have been a nice experience. I also need to know when to spend time alone, with others, and doing school. These are hard to balance and can also be different for everyone. I hope we can be friends in the future!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Reading your story on who emotionally fueled you makes me so happy, I'm so glad throughout this pandemic you have had family and friends to keep you going. Do you find yourself asking for support when you need it?

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm happy to hear that your orientation leader had such a great impact on your beginning college experience. Its so great that you have such a wide support system build with family and friends that motivate you. I agree with the ways that you listed about how a person can sharpen another. Encouragement is so important and receiving that from your peers and others can sharpen you in many ways. Sometimes we all need that certain push of encouragement to keep us going.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment