Are you a Thermostat or a Thermometer as a Leader?

1. This image relates to modeling the way because it expresses how thermostats represent those who lead by example. As a leader, thermostats set the example and thermometers follow their example. This image reflects how followers often mimic the example established by their leader. Since leaders are influencing others, they must set the right "temperature" and let their values be their guide. 

2. I believe there is a gap between what we say and what we do because we neglect the power of our words. As leaders and as people, our words have the power to encourage or belittle others. While we may speak with good intentions, our actions are often motivated by self-interest. I should avoid hypocrisy as a leader because I never know who is watching my actions or who will mimic them. By engaging in hypocrisy, I will lose my credibility as a leader and respect from my followers. It is incredibly important to bridge this gap because it makes our example as leaders worth following. 

3. In order to live by a set of values, it is important to first define them. Your values will ultimately drive your words and actions. It takes living by your values each day, especially when no one is watching. 

4. In high school, my yearbook teacher was a thermostat. She set the tone for the class and we followed her example. She was more knowledgeable in technology than me and I looked up to her for understanding and guidance. She was encouraging and lenient with our projects. She was successful in teaching this class because she set the tone and it was consistent throughout the school year.

5. I have tried to be a thermostat by being intentional with my words, actions, and time. My words have the power to add value to others or take it away. My actions not only affect me but they also affect my future. As a leader, I want my actions to be worth following. I have also taken on more responsibilities this semester which has required me to use my time well. I can add value to others by making time for them in the midst of my busy schedule. 

Comments

  1. I like how you say that the gap between what you say and what you do has to do with neglecting the 'power of words', and I also like how you say we have to define our values before we can live by them.

    Did any of your values have to do with how your yearbook class went?
    Also, I really like how you talk about being intentional with your words, actions, and time. People can forget about how their time is spent, or how their words may come off to someone who isn't totally on - board with their ideas yet.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey! I like how you how you you explained thermostat has those who lead by example. That was a great way to word it. Also how you said there is gap between what we do and what we say because we neglect the power of our words.


    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment